Released: April 19, 2022
Department of Defense
Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs (CDMRP)
Hearing Restoration Research Program
Anticipated Funding Opportunities for Fiscal Year 2022 (FY22)
The FY22 Defense Appropriations Act provides funding for the Hearing Restoration Research Program (HRRP) to support innovative and impactful research that pursues the treatment of auditory system injuries and the restoration of hearing. The managing agent for the anticipated funding opportunities is the CDMRP at the U.S. Army Medical Research and Development Command (USAMRDC).
The HRRP is providing the information in this pre-announcement to allow investigators time to plan and develop ideas for submission to the anticipated FY22 funding opportunities. This pre-announcement should not be construed as an obligation by the government. The FY22 HRRP funding opportunity announcements for the following award mechanisms will be posted on the Grants.gov website. Pre-application and application deadlines will be available when the announcements are released.
Applications submitted to the FY22 HRRP must address one or more of the following Focus Areas:
- Accelerate translation of biological regeneration/repair mechanisms into therapies that treat auditory system injury and restore auditory function.
For example, but not limited to:
- Hair cell regeneration/repair/recovery
- Neural regeneration/repair/recovery
- Treatment for synaptopathy and hidden hearing loss
- Diagnostic tests that help differentiate sensory, neural, synaptic, and central processing disorders, that may inform applicability and outcomes for current or future hearing restoration therapeutics.
- Develop reliable in-vitro human models to facilitate the understanding, derivation and characterization of human auditory cells, and/or to facilitate the evaluation of hearing restoration therapies.
- Develop and/or validate techniques/methods beyond the audiogram to diagnose acute auditory system injury in austere or remote environments. For example, but not limited to, simple and rapid assessments that are compatible with portable platforms.
|Award Mechanism||Eligibility||Key Mechanism Elements||Funding|
|Focused Research Award||Independent investigators at all academic levels (or equivalent) are eligible to submit applications.||
Preproposal is required; application submission is by invitation only.
Funding Level 1:
A pre-application is required and must be submitted through the electronic Biomedical Research Application Portal (eBRAP) at https://eBRAP.org prior to the pre-application deadline. All applications must conform to the final funding opportunity announcements that will be available for downloading from the Grants.gov website. The application package containing the required forms for each award mechanism will also be found on Grants.gov. A listing of all CDMRP and other USAMRDC extramural funding opportunities can be obtained on the Grants.gov website by performing a basic search using CFDA Number 12.420.
Submission deadlines are not available until the funding opportunity announcements are released. For email notification when announcements are released, subscribe to program-specific news and updates under “Email Subscriptions” on the eBRAP homepage at https://eBRAP.org. For more information about the HRRP or other CDMRP-administered programs, please visit the CDMRP website (https://cdmrp.army.mil).
Point of Contact:
CDMRP Public Affairs
Last updated Tuesday, April 19, 2022