Released: March 22, 2023
Department of Defense
Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs (CDMRP)
Lupus Research Program
Anticipated Funding Opportunities for Fiscal Year 2023 (FY23)
The FY23 Defense Appropriations Act provides funding for the Lupus Research Program (LRP) to support the full spectrum of research projects or ideas that specifically focus on scientific and clinical lupus issues which, if successfully addressed, have the potential to make a major impact in lupus research. The managing agent for the anticipated funding opportunities is the CDMRP at the U.S. Army Medical Research and Development Command (USAMRDC).
The LRP is providing the information in this pre-announcement to allow investigators time to plan and develop ideas for submission to the anticipated FY23 funding opportunities. This pre-announcement should not be construed as an obligation by the government. The FY23 LRP funding opportunity announcements for the following award mechanisms will be posted on the Grants.gov website. Pre-application and application deadlines will be available when the announcements are released.
Applications submitted to the FY23 LRP Idea and Impact Awards must address one or more of the following Focus Areas:
- Understanding how lupus disease heterogeneity impacts risk of disease, disease presentation, clinical course, and outcomes using a diverse range of research disciplines including, but not limited to, biopsychosocial studies, personalized medicine, variation in treatment studies, health economics, socioeconomic studies, environmental studies, systems biology, maternal fetal health, and epidemiological studies
- Understanding the biological mechanisms of lupus disease including, but not limited to, studies of informative/rare patients
- Determining the pathobiology of end organ injury related to lupus disease in target human tissues
- Improving quality of life for individuals living with lupus including, but not limited to, addressing social determinants of health, access to health care resources, outcomes research, patient-reported outcomes, symptom and disease control, comparative effectiveness research, maternal fetal health, and issues and challenges that, when addressed, make day-to-day living with lupus easier and life more fulfilling
- Understanding the underlying genetic and epigenetic components and gene-environment interactions of lupus and how they may relate to clinical disease characteristics, variations, disparities, and differences in response to therapies using functional genomic studies
- (Impact Awards only) Innovative health care delivery models improving outcomes for lupus
Applications submitted to the FY23 LRP Transformative Vision Award must address one of the following Focus Areas:
- Innovative health care delivery models improving outcomes for lupus
- Design and implement an intervention either at the individual and/or health care system level to improve the quality of life and mental and behavioral health for individuals living with lupus. Example interventions include, but are not limited to, access to health care resources, outcomes research, symptom and disease control, comparative effectiveness research, and issues and challenges that, when addressed, make day-to-day living with lupus easier and life more fulfilling
|Award Mechanism||Eligibility||Key Mechanism Elements||Funding|
|Idea Award||Investigators at or above the level of postdoctoral fellow
|Impact Award||Investigators at or above Assistant Professor
|Transformative Vision Award||Investigators at or above Assistant Professor
A pre-application is required and must be submitted through the Biomedical Research Application Portal (eBRAP) prior to the pre-application deadline. All applications must conform to the final funding opportunity announcements that will be available for downloading from the Grants.gov website. The application package containing the required forms for each award mechanism will also be found on Grants.gov. A listing of all CDMRP and other USAMRDC extramural funding opportunities can be obtained on the Grants.gov website by performing a basic search using Assistance Listing Number (ALN, formerly CFDA) 12.420.
Submission deadlines are not available until the funding opportunity announcements are released. For email notification when announcements are released, subscribe to program-specific news and updates under “Email Subscriptions” on the eBRAP homepage. For more information about the LRP or other CDMRP-administered programs, please visit the CDMRP website (https://cdmrp.health.mil).
Point of Contact:
CDMRP Public Affairs
Last updated Wednesday, March 22, 2023